Judy Dussiaume and Susan Stuart
Description of the Task
The task requires students to classify triangles according to angle and side properties.
Students use Geometer's Sketchpad to manipulate triangles to see that constructed triangles
have imposed restrictions whereas drawn triangles can be freely dragged to change properties.
Students will use mathematical language to describe geometric concepts as they explore,
manipulate, and hypothesize about the classifications of triangles.
Students will use geometry to find a hidden constellation in a group of "stars".
- 6m64 identify, describe, compare, and classify geometric figures
- 6m69 use mathematical language effectively to describe geometric concepts,
investigations, and coordinate systems
Download full teacher notes (Word) or Download full teacher notes (PDF).
- 6m75 classify two-dimensional shapes according to angle and side properties (e.g.,
- 6m81 use a computer application to explore and extend geometric concepts
- 6m82 use mathematical language to describe geometric ideas (e.g., obtuse-angled
- 6m84 discuss geometric concepts with peers and use mathematical language to explain
understanding of the concepts
- 6m85 explain, make conjectures about, and articulate hypotheses about geometric
Geometer's Sketchpad needs to be installed on all computers.
Four files need to be saved on each computer